Car Accidents > Car Accident Guides > Getting Your Vehicle Repaired

Car Accidents With Uninsured or Unknown Drivers

In Britain, 72 people are injured each day in car accidents with uninsured and unknown (including hit and run) motorists. Fortunately, drivers and passengers involved in a car accident with such negligent motorists, which was not their fault, can claim compensation for their injuries through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)

Formed in 1946, the MIB are an organisation that supports the victims of uninsured and untraced motorists by providing a fund for compensation. Each year, MIB claims handling experts manage over 30,000 claims for accidents involving uninsured or untraced drivers and pay out a staggering £500 million in compensation.

The MIB receives its funds from contributions from all UK car insurance companies on the basis of the number of cars insured by the company.

The MIB operates under two agreements with the Secretary of State for the Environment - The Uninsured Drivers Agreement and The Untraced Drivers Agreement.

Uninsured motorists

According to the RAC Foundation there are around 1.2 million uninsured drivers in Britain, accounting for 6% of all UK motorists. These drivers cause more accidents and are more likely to be involved in other serious crimes than drivers who are insured.

In fact, 1 in 10 of all motorists have been involved in accidents with uninsured drivers. People who break the law and drive without insurance are:

Compensation claims

If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, a compensation claim can be made against the MIB under the Uninsured Drivers’ Agreement.

Under this agreement you can claim for personal injury compensation within 3 years of the car accident and claim compensation for vehicle damage within 6 years of the accident, as long as you were not at fault for the collision and have the car registration number of the driver at fault. The accident must also be reported to the police as soon as practicable.

You may also be able to receive compensation if you were injured as a passenger in a car being driven by an uninsured motorist, as long as you can prove you were unaware of the driver’s negligence.

Untraced motorists

Under the MIB’s Untraced Drivers’ Agreement, anyone who has suffered an injury in a car accident with a driver whose identity is unknown can make a claim within 3 years of the accident, providing the accident is reported to the Police as soon as practicable (up to a maximum of 14 days after the incident).

In addition, changes made to the agreement in February 2003 means that motorists can also claim compensation for damaged property, as long as the police are informed of the accident within 5 days.